Every brand new nurse needs a new nurse survival kit. There are two kinds – a funny one that encourages nurses when they feel stressed out. Then there is also a more practical survival kit that I personally think all nurses need.
How To Make A Funny Nurse Survival Kit
As nurses, our jobs are pretty intense. The best way to make it through the long shifts is to find ways to laugh. This funny nurse survival kit makes a fun gift or just a printable reminder that life is better than the terrible days.
To make a funny nurse survival kit, just follow these steps:
- Print out the printable I created.
- Figure out what size you need to print. It is created to be 8.5×11 – a normal paper size. But you can choose from your printing options to scale it 50% and it fits perfectly on a lunch-bag-sized paper bag.
- Fill the paper bag with the items on the list.
- It’s ready to be given as a gift!
Download the New Nurse Survival Kit Printable
What To Put in It
You can also be creative and make up your own survival kit. Feel free to be as “punny” as you wish! This is a fun time to let your humor shine. You can use PicMonkey or Canva to create your own and put whatever you want in it.
Gain Confidence & Crush Your First Year
Your first year as a nurse can be daunting. You need someone in your corner telling you what your managers really need from you, helping you learn to interact with your precentor, and really just manager your like. Find all that an more with the Fresh RN New Nurse Master Class.Start Now
Whatever you choose to put inside the bag, make sure they are smaller items with a fun little pun in the name.
A few ideas that aren’t used on my survival kit include:
- A balloon – to remind you to reach for the sky
- A string – to tie up loose ends
- A nail – to remind you of the times you nailed it
How to Make A Practical New Nurse Survival Kit
The first one is a ton of fun. But sometimes being a nurse requires more than candy and puns. For the long days and sore backs, I put together a very practical nurse survival kit. This makes a wonderful gift for every nurse – from someone that just graduated nursing school, to an experienced nurse.
If you giving this as a gift, make it special. Find a beautiful basket to hold everything. Decorate it in their favorite colors. And include a handwritten card with some encouraging words.
But if this is for you, then find a useful plastic tub that can store everything when you aren’t using it.
What To Put in A New Nurse Survival Kit
A nurse survival kit should encourage the nurse and remind them that they are changing lives and making a difference. It should also be filled with very useful items that they either always need or find themselves searching for frequently.
Take Charge of Your Nursing Career
Your first year as a nurse is daunting. You need someone in your corner telling you what your managers really need from you, helping you learn to interact with your preceptor, and really just manage your life. Find all that an more with the FreshRN VIP - Membership.I'm Ready to Thrive
Here is what I put in my survival kit. You can add to it as you think of things that make a nurse’s life easier.
- A journal – Use the journal to write about how you feel. It’s a well-known fact that journaling expresses emotions and helps clear the mind. Consider adding some of your own new nurse tips on the front cover.
- A great backpack – You need a backpack to carry your lunchbox, change of clothes, and anything else you need to take to work. Make it one that is padded and ergonomically designed. You deserve it!
- Pens and Highlighters – How many times are you losing your pens? You might want to buy a few packs of them, just in case.
- Becoming Nursey by
- Hair ties and/or headbands – Include plenty of ways to get your hair out of your eyes for those long shifts.
- Hand Cream for Nurses – It is undeniable how dry your hands get with all the washing, gloves, and antibacterial gel. So pack some luxurious lotion that you can use as soon as your shift if over.
- Protein Snacks – Find some snacks that power you through your shift. Maybe find some of your favorite flavors of protein bars, or make your own trail mix with nuts and chocolate.
- Water bottle – Staying hydrated is super important, but you knew that.
- On the go coffee mug – Maybe you’ll put tea inside it. Or maybe you’ll put hot chocolate. But this mug will definitely be useful.
- First Aid Kit – This is in the list because everyone should have a first aid kit within arm’s reach.
How to Use A New Nurse Survival Kit
Give It As A Gift
Keep It For Yourself
More Nurse Posts To Make You Smile
I hope you enjoyed this post about nurse survival kits. Want more posts that make you laugh? I have a few of my favorites here:
- Funny Nurse Memes to Brighten Your Day
- 10 Funny Nurse Mugs You Totally Need In Your Life
- 19 Hilariously Relatable Quotes About Nurses