So you know you want to go to nursing school, now how do you pay for it? There are a bunch of nurse scholarships and general education scholarships out there.
Let’s break down where to find them so you can have one less thing to worry about.
Where to Find Nurse Scholarships
If you searched for nurse scholarships online, you’ll find more nursing school and general scholarships than you have time to apply for. I promise. I hope this guide helps break down places to find scholarships that are worth your time applying and saves you some sanity too.
Where you find scholarships will depend on if you are still in high school or in college. Although there is some overlap in the location of some scholarships.
Just Graduated High School (Or About to Graduate)
First, if you are in high school, these are the best places to find scholarships for college.
- Your Guidance Counselor – Your high school guidance counselor will know about local scholarships for which you qualify. There might be a memorial scholarship for anyone going into a medical degree – so ask and follow their advice.
- Online – There are so many websites dedicated to helping you find scholarships. Sort and filter by your location and your intended major. My personal favorites are BestColleges.com and Scholarships.com.
- Local Organizations – Many local chapters of national organizations offer scholarships to graduating seniors. This is where asking your guidance counselor will be a big help. Think about groups like DAR and churches. You can even search by state.
- Nurse Associations – Find your local nurse association and apply. The American Nurses Association has a scholarship every year.
- National Brands – Lots of national brands offer to graduate high school seniors scholarships. Johnson and Johnson keep a list with hundreds of nursing scholarships.
- Needs-Based – There are some scholarships set up for first-generation college students or college students that meet certain low-income criteria. If this is you, check with your guidance counselor and definitely apply to one of them – or all of them.
- Special Groups – There are lots of scholarships for special groups too. Search for Native American scholarships or scholarships for people with a disability.
Current College Student
When you are a current college student, it might be a little more work to find a scholarship. You don’t have your guidance counselor around anymore. But thankfully there are quite a few ways to find nursing scholarships on your own.
- Online – Just like the tips above, there are some fantastic websites dedicated to helping you find scholarships for which you qualify. You can search by state, major, and even any special interests you have. Scholarships.com or Fast Web is the best resources out there.
- College Website – Search your local university’s website. Chances are they have a few scholarships available.
- Specific Nurse Associations – What type of nursing school are you going to enter? Chances are there are scholarships for that specific focus. For example, the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses has a list of grants and scholarships on their website.
Who is Eligible for Nursing School Scholarships?
The eligibility for each scholarship varies. But one thing that is pretty common – to be eligible for nursing school scholarships you probably need to meet at least one of the following criteria.
Yes, you will need to prove outstanding educational abilities in order to receive a scholarship. This applies to high school grades and college grades. Most scholarships want at least a 3.0 but the competition is fierce, so the higher the grades the better.
If you volunteer regularly, this will look amazing on scholarship programs. It helps if you volunteer at nursing homes or other medical/caring facilities and organizations.
If you have held any leadership positions – including high school – note it on the applications. Showing leadership demonstrates that you deserve the scholarship and will represent the organization well.
Strong Essay Writing Skills
Most scholarships are still essay-based, so practice your writing skills before you send in the application. I suggest writing a rough draft and asking someone to edit it for you as well.
When To Apply For Scholarships for Nursing School
Since new school years begin in August/September, many scholarships are handed out the previous spring. Start searching for scholarships the winter before you anticipate enrolling in college and apply in January – March.
What Kind of Scholarship Applications are There?
Are you a strong writer? Do you make amazing videos? There are scholarships for your strengths.
Essay scholarships are the most popular ones in existence. It gives you the chance to prove your worth and wow them with your writing. Tell a strong story and help the committee understand why you will represent them the best.
Take Charge of Your Nursing Career
Your first year as a nurse is daunting. You need someone in your corner telling you what your managers really need from you, helping you learn to interact with your preceptor, and really just manage your life. Find all that an more with the FreshRN VIP - Membership.I'm Ready to Thrive
There are some scholarships that ask for video essays too. If you have amazing vide0-editing skills or are great on camera, then you should apply with a video instead.
Finally, there are scholarships that only ask you to prove you meet their financial criteria. While they might seem the easiest to apply for, they might also be difficult to get. You need to prove your need qualifies.
How Much are Nurse Scholarships?
This depends on which you are applying for. They can range from $500 to even $10,000. It’s worth it to apply because every check helps!
Are you ready to apply for nursing school? Good luck! It’s difficult but I can promise you it is worth it. And all these nursing school scholarships will help you afford it.
More Nursing School Information
While you are thinking about nursing school, here are some more very helpful resources that will get you through college and on your way to a very rewarding career.
- How to Save on Textbooks: ebook and Physical Textbook Rentals
- Why is Nursing School So Hard?
- Can Accelerated Nursing Programs Increase Your Likelihood of Getting a Job?
- Best Student Nurse Internships
Prayer | The 100 Most Powerful Prayers for a Scholarship — With 4 Bonus Books to Pray for the Future, Money, Success & a College Mindset — for Men & WomenScholarshipsThe Nature of Scholarship, a Career Legacy Map and Advanced Practice: An Important Triad (Advanced Practice in Nursing)The Ultimate Scholarship Book 2019: Billions of Dollars in Scholarships, Grants and PrizesThe Scholarship & Financial Aid Solution: How to Go to College for Next to Nothing with Shortcuts, Tricks, and Tips from Start to Finish REVISED 2ND EDITIONThe Scholarship Book, 13th Edition: The Complete Guide to Private-Sector Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants, and Loan s for the Undergraduate (Scholarship Books)