Standing for long periods of time can put great strain on the plantar fascia, causing painful plantar fasciitis for nurses. Here are the best shoes to relieve foot pain for nurses as they work long shifts.
Nurses are always on their feet, and many experience occasional foot pain because of the strain. When you add plantar fasciitis into that mix, that occasional foot pain becomes chronic agonizing foot and heel pain. Finding a good pair of supportive shoes is essential if you want an enjoyable shift without any major discomfort.
- 1. Gravity Defyer Proven Pain Relief Women's G-Defy Mighty Walk
- 2. Nurse Mates Indya
- 3. Orthofeet Orthopedic Walking Shoes
- 4. Alegria Women's Debra Slip-On
- 5. Dansko Women’s Professional Clog
- 6. New Balance Women's 410 V6 Trail Running Shoe
- 7. Brooks Women's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
- 8. ASICS Women's GEL-Nimbus 22 Running Shoes
- 9. Sticky Pro Shoes
What is plantar fasciitis?
The plantar fascia is an often overlooked tough band of tissue that connects the heel bone (calcaneus) to your toes. This ligament helps support our weight and transfers shock when we are on our feet. Everyday strains can cause micro-tears in this ligament which can become increasingly inflamed over time leading to chronic foot pain called plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis is often experienced when there’s too much pressure from wearing improper shoes that won’t support you properly or offer adequate shock absorption while walking long distances throughout the day. This leads not only to chronic agonizing pain when you stand up but also slows down your movement which could affect your performance as a nurse.
And it can take months to feel better.
If you suffer from plantar fasciitis, everyday shoes such as flip flops and heels can cause strain (and pain) on your plantar fascia. But the amount of standing and walking you do on hard surfaces as a nurse can make the problem much worse.
The way to relieve the strain and pain is to wear the best nursing shoes with excellent arch support.
The Top 9 Nursing Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
When you stand on your feet every day or have flat feet (making you more prone to plantar fasciitis), wearing any ol’ shoe won’t cut it. And if you’ve already developed plantar fascia discomfort, it won’t go away until you treat the root cause: a lack of adequate arch support.
That’s why I’ve rounded up this list of expert-approved nurse shoes in popular styles that offer everything you need in a comfortable shoe fit for a hard-working nurse:
- Comfortable fit
- Slip-resistant outsole
- Memory foam insole
- Superior shock absorption
1. Gravity Defyer Proven Pain Relief Women’s G-Defy Mighty Walk
I’m a big fan of wearing athletic shoes when my plantar fasciitis flares up because they limit how much movement your foot has as they provide support.
- Cost: $135
- Features: roomy toe box, breathable mesh, and terrific shock absorption to increase circulation and relive pain.
- Pros: podiatrist-approved orthotic insoles in every shoe to help correct body alignment and relieve plantar fasciitis.
- Cons: They have a mesh upper, which isn’t the easiest to clean.
2. Nurse Mates Indya
If you prefer a clog-style shoe, this one is built with comfort and support in mind. The corrective orthotic insole keeps your feet in place and properly aligned while providing stability and support.
- Cost: $100
- Features: Stain-resistant leather upper material with a slip-resistant bottom, padded collar.
- Pros: I love that these shoes are cute and have an absorbent insole to keep your feet dry and comfortable all day.
- Cons: Not available in a large range of colors.
3. Orthofeet Orthopedic Walking Shoes
Air pockets located in the heel of the shoe provide extra cushion and support to protect from the harsh impacts of spending long shifts on your feet.
- Cost: $130
- Features: Lightweight soles, large roomy toe box, pillow-like arch support to enhance comfort and reduce pain.
- Pros: They include a removable orthotic insert for additional support which is removable so you can replace it with your favorite insole.
- Cons: Some people have said they didn’t last long before they started coming apart.
4. Alegria Women’s Debra Slip-On
The thousands of terrific reviews say it all! Alegria clogs are easy to slip on and off and are available in a huge variety of colors.
- Cost: $140
- Features: 100% leather upper material with slip-resistant soles, removable footbed with great arch support.
- Pros: These shoes are Certified by the American Podiatric Medical Association as recommended footwear.
- Cons: I saw a couple of reviews that said that even though the shoes are extremely comfortable and great for bunions, they aren’t breathable and are terrible for sweaty feet.
5. Dansko Women’s Professional Clog
Dansko clogs are pretty much the “Cadillac” of nursing shoes with great arch support. This model is one of the most comfortable shoes for medical professionals and nurses who spend long periods of time on their feet.
Take Charge of Your Nursing Career
Your first year as a nurse is daunting. You need someone in your corner telling you what your managers really need from you, helping you learn to interact with your preceptor, and really just manage your life. Find all that an more with the FreshRN VIP - Membership.I'm Ready to Thrive
- Cost: $140
- Features: Leather upper with slip-resistant rubber soles.
- Pros: These clogs have padded collars, thick soles, and an anti-fatigue rocker bottom.
- Cons: Clogs allow more foot movement which may not work for some people.
6. New Balance Women’s 410 V6 Trail Running Shoe
New Balance creates another great option for nurses suffering from plantar fasciitis. These lightweight shoes offer breathable mesh and are comfortable to wear for long 12-hour shifts.
- Cost: $60 – $90 (depending on size and color)
- Features: Lightweight shoes with terrific arch support.
- Pros: These shoes are great for nurses with wide feet or high arches.
- Cons: These running shoes are pretty wide which may not work for people with narrow feet.
7. Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
This lace-up shoe offers a clean modern casual appearance thanks to a low-profile design.
- Cost: $150 – $180
- Features: Rubber outsole and very cushiony insole for a non-slip comfrotable fit.
- Pros: These shoes support nurses who overpronate or have flat feet.
- Cons: These shoes are not availavle in every size.
8. ASICS Women’s GEL-Nimbus 22 Running Shoes
Asics have long been a favorite shoe for nurses. Utilizing several different technologies to provide comfort, these shoes are great all-around athletic shoes for nursing.
- Cost: $150
- Features: GEL technology reduces the work load on feet.
- Pros: Unique midsole technology ensures a better heel to toe transition.
- Cons: A very neutral shoe, it may not provide enough support for nurses with high arches.
9. Sticky Pro Shoes
Healthcare professionals have so much to worry about every day. Why not take a little off your plate by making the right choice in shoes? These waterproof shoes have non-slip outsoles to keep you steady on your feet even in slippery conditions.
- Cost: $55
- Features: Waterproof design with absorbent footbed so your feet stay dry and comfortable all day.
- Pros: Cute comfortable design available in a variety of colors.
- Cons: These shoes run a little small, so order a ½ larger size than normal.
I hope this post helps you find the best nurse shoes to relieve plantar fasciitis. If you find yourself dealing with foot and joint, make sure you choose one of these shoes and wear compression socks. These shoes work as hard as you do!
One of my favorite nursing shoe companies, Kuru, makes terrific shoes that are both supportive and cute. Originally designed for people who have problems with plantar fasciitis, flat feet, and other types of foot pain, Kuru shoes feature cutting-edge KURUSOLE technology to hug your heels and keep them aligned, so you receive better support to reduce pain.
More Shoe Resources For Nurses
- 7 Best Brooks Nursing Shoes
- Best Shoes for Nurses in 2021
- Nurse Croc Charms Guide – Nursing Jibbitz for Crocs
- 5 Best Orthopedic Nursing Shoes
- Calzuro Professional Clogs – Hospital Shoes You Can Sterilize
Download Nurse Bingo Today!
Liven up any shift with a fun game of bingo. See who can fill a row first!
Fill a whole card and lose grip with reality.
Your privacy is protected. We will never spam you.