The phenomena that is often laughed off in the nursing profession when nurses refer to it as how “Nurses Eat Their Young” is known by many other terms. These include: Bullying, Horizontal Violence, Lateral Violence, Hostile Work Environment, Harassment, Nurse to Nurse Violence, Horizontal Hostility, and likely many more that I have not directly stated.
When you are victim experiencing lateral violence it is very easy to attempt to write the treatment you are receiving off a necessary due you must pay in order to join the nursing profession.
Lateral violence is an issue that hinders nurses from reaching their full potential as professionals. It takes up valuable clinical time that can be spent on patient care. And it often forces many excellent and skilled individuals to leave the nursing profession. It is unacceptable and as nurses we should see it as an embarrassment.
If you have landed on this page, you may be unsure if what you are experiencing is part of bullying in nursing. If you are unsure, then likely you are experiencing it. The incidences can ranges from mild to severe, but learning what you’re rights are, and what you can do to combat this injustice is the first step you can take towards helping the nursing profession to scrub this stain free from our image.
Take Charge of Your Nursing Career
Your first year as a nurse is daunting. You need someone in your corner telling you what your managers really need from you, helping you learn to interact with your preceptor, and really just manage your life. Find all that an more with the FreshRN VIP - Membership.I'm Ready to Thrive
On his page I will attempt to group and arrange the resources I have found for myself and any reader submitted resources including articles, laws, and professional standards in a list below. These resources range from Books, Articles, Websites, Blogs, and Discussion Forums. Some of the articles even include CE credits. Resources listed as “Articles” were intended to be specific to those that could be utilized for scholarly research and writing.
Lateral Violence Resources for Nurses
- Confident Voices: The Nurses’ Guide to Improving Communication & Creating Positive Workplaces – By Beth Boynton RN MS
- Ending nurse-to-nurse hostility: why nurses eat their young and each other– By Kathleen Bartholomew
- From Silence to Voice: What Nurses Know and Must Communicate to the Public – Suzanne Gordon & Bernice Buresh
- A Matter of Respect and Dignity: Bullying in the Nursing Profession – Medscape.com
- Stress and verbal abuse in nursing: do burned out nurses eat their young?
- Workplace bullying in nursing: a problem that can’t be ignored.
- You have no credibility: nursing students’ experiences of horizontal violence.
- Horizontal violence: experiences of Registered Nurses in their ﬁrst year of practice
- Teaching Cognitive Rehearsal as a Shield for Combatting Lateral Violence: An Intervention for Newly Licensed Nurses
- The Bullying Aspect of Workplace Violence in Nursing
- Definition of horizontal violence
- Violence: Not in My Job Description – Medscape.com
- Addressing Nurse-to-Nurse Bullying to Promote Nurse Retention – American Nurses Association – nursingword.org
- Lateral Violence and Bullying in Nursing – American Nurses Association – nursingword.org
- The Mobbing Encyclopaedia – Bullying; Whistleblowing – Information about Mobbing at the Workplace –Professor Heinz Leymann, PhD, MD sci
- Actions to Tackle Bullying At Work – bullyingonline.org
- When the Nurse Is a Bully – well.blogs.nytimes.com
- Horizontal Violence – Advance for Nurses
- Nurses Are Being Bullied
- A sad myth: nurses eat their young – Scrubsmag.com
- Why Do Some Nurses Eat Their Young? – LPN2RN.com
- Why Nurses Eat Their Young: A look at nurse-to-nurse hostility and why it occurs – RealityRN.com
- Why Do Nurses Eat Their Young? – NurseTogether.com
- Healing Wounds between Nurses– How to bring unity back to nursing – RealityRN.com
- Afraid at Work – Nurses must confront workplace abuse – RealityRN.com
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T– 4 tips for training others to respect you.– RealityRN.com
- Do Nurses Eat Their Young? – AllNurses.com
- “Nurses Eating Their Young” – AllNurses.com
- Poll: Do Nurses Eat Their Young? – Nursing Link
- Examples of Horizontal Violence – AllNurese.com
Posts on This Blog:
- Respect and Dignity: A Nurses Guide to Bullying in Nursing
- Lateral Violence in Nursing : Nurses Being Bullies
- Nurses and the Bullying Experience: Lateral Violence
- Even Bullies Don’t want to Work with Another Bully
- Nursing School Politics and Social Media: Another Example of Nurses Being Bullies
- Things They Don’t Tell you When You’re In Nursing School: Advice for New Grads
- NG Tubes Suck: Gastric Contents from Patients and the Life out of me!
I will continue to add to this list as additional links and resources are brought to my attention. Please feel free to comment below with any additional information, links, or insight you have on the matter.
Nurses need to support each other in order to progress as professionals.
We need to Stop Nurses Eating Their Young!
Download Nurse Bingo Today!
Liven up any shift with a fun game of bingo. See who can fill a row first!
Fill a whole card and lose grip with reality.
Your privacy is protected. We will never spam you.