Nurses spend so much time caring for others that the often don’t have the time or energy to really take care of themselves properly. A new year is a great time to start some new good habits and maybe even quit a few old bad ones. If you want to live a happy life with a fulfilling nursing career then these resolutions might be just right for you.
I waited until I had something that I knew was worth sharing. I waited until I finished my book so I could tell the world how awesome it feels to finally have it completed and how much I really think it can help nurses who are struggling with technology.
So this big, long-winded, salute to all the awesome things that are going on at RNFMradio is really a plea to have you come listen to my appearance on the show Monday 10/21/13 at 9pm. And asked tons of awesome questions!
Every year in October, the world seems a little pinker. Breast cancer becomes the center of attention and everyone is just a little more aware of a cancer that touches so many lives. But breast cancer is confined to the month of October. And just because there aren’t pretty pink ribbons everywhere doesn’t mean that there needs to be any less attention given to the devastating disease and the men and women who are facing it right now.
Breast cancer is devastating for a number of reason. One of the primary reasons that it hurts so many is because it is one of the most common forms of cancer. Breast cancer is the 2nd most common form of cancer. It is surpassed only by lung cancer. And even though women are 100 times more likely, both men and women face the same survival rates. The Breast Cancer Society has more breast cancer facts.
Recently we made a trip to the Rocky Branch Railroad and Ghost Town.
We had family come to town and didn’t want to be the old bumps on the logs we normally are. Since my husband and I had been talking about taking Ty to a nearby old west ghost, we figured this would be a great time. It was also a great thing to take Pappy and our niece and nephew to.
The price of admission was very reasonable compared to many of the other attractions we attended during the week (including Zoo Atlanta, The Georgia Aquarium, The World of Coke, and The Fernbank Museum). For $10 you got a hay ride, a trip on the train, alligator exhibit, an 1880’s Variety Show, a gun slinging show and even robbed at gunpoint by train robbers (oh my!).
Recently I had the honor of speaking at the MEDITECH Nurse Leader and Home Health Conference. For those of you who are not already familiar, MEDITECH is a leading provider of hospital based EMRs (Electronic Medical Records). They offer a cost effective solutions to assist healthcare organizations with providing collaborative care across the continuum and meeting the requirements of ARRA and Meaningful Use.
With cigarettes and other tobacco products accounting for 443,000 deaths annually, you would think that parents would be more proactive to prevent their children and teens from smoking. But sadly many are not.
An estimated 19.5% of high school students report current use of cigarettes. If you combine that with the 8.9% of high school students who you smokeless tobacco that means that 28.4% of high school students are consuming tobacco products.
Handling your tax related documents is a task that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Although you might currently be thinking less about keeping your identity safe, and more about avoiding and audit, it is import to be aware of Tax-Time Identity Theft that can occur. Being aware and proactive in protecting your tax documents is the strongest form of protection against criminals looking to steal your identity.
The executive director of the Iowa Nurses Association made a comment on the American Nurses Association’s facebook page in response to other comments made on a wall post by Terri Polick questioning the censorship of the ANA. This representative of the Iowa chapter of the ANA essentially called Vernon Dutton (a nurse advocate and social media enthusiast) an ass and questions his credibility and motives.
With St Patrick’s Day on the horizon, and visions green beer dancing in the heads of many, it is important that you don’t forget yourself in the heat of the moment. Be smart and don’t drive drunk or buzzed. Have a designated driver or stay where you are at. If saving lives and being an responsible adults isn’t enough reason for you to avoid buzzed or drunk driving, the following infographic shows how it can cost you a pot gold. Well… maybe not a pot. Gold is pretty expensive these day, but surely it’d be several ounces.