Third Time’s a Charm: An Electrifying Hospital Stay

nurse badge holder

The intention was to return to work on Tuesday following my appointment on Monday. I was supposed to go in and get a release, but instead I got admitted to the hospital.. again… So that makes for 3 admissions for this particular ailment. Then again, I guess a brain tumor isn’t just a routine illness.

Considering the fact that I had been sleeping 16 hours a day, all day, staying up all night, having absolutely no energy, and drinking nearly my weight in water every day, it probably was the most appropriate choice. Needless to say, I was a bit upset about it at the time. I really just want to get my life back in order,and frequent hospital admissions aren’t exactly the routine in my life.

Lumbar Punctures: Electric Bedside Procedures

There was a question of whether I had a spinal infection. Because of this I was subjected to the hell-on-earth of something called a lumbar puncture. During this experiment in pain thresholds, I had to lay as still as possible on my side, in fetal positive, for 15 minutes as a resident attempted to correctly place the LP needled in my spinal sac. Since apparently nothing is routine with me, it didn’t go as planed. Every time the needle found itself in the wrong location, a jolt of electricity would find itself there as well.

My left leg in particular was the victim of multiple electrical strikes. At one point my bladder felt like it was being charged and I feared I was going wet the bed. And at 26 I should be a bit past the bed wetting stage.

I sincerely hope that is the closest I ever come to be being struck by lightning.

I will say,however, that the resident performing the lumbar puncture had a fabulous bedside manner. Had it not been for his sympathy and kind nature I doubt I would have allowed the spinal probe to continue as long as I did.

To top I all off this occurred in a semi-private room and my screams of agony were fully audible to the 2 other patients sharing the suite with me at 1am. And if that weren’t enough insult to injury, they were unable to complete the procedure successfully at the bedside and I had to go the next morning to have it performed under x-ray with the assistance of lady Ativan.

The result of all the probing? Apparently it was negative because I never heard anything else about it.

Of course I continued to be poked and prodded on in other manners. There were Q6 lab draws for sodium as well as a daily cortisol level. I have terrible veins so the lab techs and IV teams typically are less than thrilled to see me. There was a pleasant change in pace in the normal hospitalization for me on this visit since I only had to have 2 IV in 3 days.

Hospital Health Revelations

A 3 day hospital stay revealed I was suffering from adrenal and thyroid insufficiency. So it looks as if I will have to take steroids and thyroid medication for the rest of my life.  I am less than thrilled about these revelations.

I was finally given my work release upon discharge from the hospital on Thursday. With any luck I will back to work on Monday and getting back in my routine. 

I am really tired of being the patient and ready to be the nurse again.


  1. says

    Ugh, how horrible. I have had a lumbar puncture myself…NO FUN! I hope you will be feeling tip top again soon. God Bless, Jana

  2. says

    Hey Brittney,
    You sure have had more of your share of gross hospital experiences (GHEs!). The LP sounds awful! The resident’s bedside manner sounds great though. (As it should be, right?) I’m glad you are home again hope your return to work is easy on you and all the empathy you may have gained has a positive presence for you and your patients!

    Good luck on Monday!

    It is good to hear from you!


    • says

      His bedside manner was better than most people I met in that hospital. I am reminded of how much more I appreciate a small town hospital rather than a big university hospital.

  3. says

    Your lumbar puncture just brought back memories to me when they found I had meningitis. You poor thing. There has to be a better way – I wonder if they will invent one soon. Thyroid medication usually takes weeks to kick in, no? Wishing you the best. You have had more than your share of being in the hospital and not as the nurse.

What's on your mind?