Handling your tax related documents is a task that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Although you might currently be thinking less about keeping your identity safe, and more about avoiding and audit, it is import to be aware of Tax-Time Identity Theft that can occur. Being aware and proactive in protecting your tax documents is the strongest form of protection against criminals looking to steal your identity.
If it wasn’t for all the great innovations in technology in helping us manage and organize documents, I don’t think I’d ever be able to find anything I needed, much less keep them safe and secure. Those nerdy little tools help me manage my personal finances and keep my entertained as well.
Below you will find some useful tips to manage and protect your tax documents.
Tips to Manage Your Tax Documents
- Utilize available technology. Invest a little in a scanner with OCR technology to help you catalog and file your receipts and other tax documents.
- Scan your tax related documents into your computer and shred the originals. Having less paper around leaves less of a probability of a thief discovering them in your trash. The IRS does accept digital scans as originals.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start preparing your tax documents. If you spend a little time each month organizing and preparing then filing at tax time will be a breeze.
- If your employer has it as an option, then opt for an electronic form of your W-2’s. This prevents your personal tax information from going through the mail system and giving you a little extra SSN Protection.
- Avoid paper bills altogether. Most companies now offer paperless billing. Take advantage of it. Not only will you be saving trees, you will also be helping to protect your identity.
- Pick your tax-preparer wisely. What’s the point in going through all that effort to protect your personal information if you’re are just going to hand it over to a potential scam-artist tax-preparer.
These are tips that I use to help me better manage my taxes while keeping my identity safe. If protecting your livelihood and you family’s financial future is important to you, it is important to be diligent in managing your tax documents in a fashion that protects your identity from potential criminals.
Enrolling in a service to protect your identity can save you time money, heartache and hassle. For more information on how to protect your identity, especially around tax time, visit http://www.identityguard.com.
Disclosure: This service was provided to me for review at no charge. In addition I received monetary compensation. All opinions are my own.