One of those innovations happens to be this nifty wall outlet with USB ports right along side of the traditional power sockets. The Power2U AC/USB Wall Outlet is a safe and ultra-convenient way to charge your gadgets.
While you’re probably not going to need or want to replace every power outlet in your home, this would be a great addition to any home office, kitchen, or bedside outlet.
If you’re nerdy like me, then you likely have multiple devices that charge via USB. Having an outlet like this would keep your power outlets free for other uses. Although the $39.99 price tag seems a bit steep to me, considering you can get a USB wall charger for just a few bucks online. But what you’d be paying for here is the form factor, and let’s face it, coolness.
DIY The USB Wall Outlet
The makers of this product state that this is a simple DIY install. They say it can be installed in less than 20 minutes. The outlet will install on any 15Amp circuit with a 16 cubic inch electrical box. It is fully UL listed and approved to be safe.
Save Money and Energy
It is designed to only output enough power that the devices that is being charged needs. The shutters for the USB port are spring loaded and automatically turn power off to the USB ports when a cable is removed.
- Apple iPad (all models)
- Apple iPhone (all models)
- Apple iPod (all USB chargeable models)
- Android™ tablets and phones
- tablet computers, cellphones, gaming systems (Nintendo, Sony PSP, etc.)
- Bluetooth headsets, digital cameras, or GPS devices which charge via standard USB plug
I think this is an very neat concept and foresee this being a upgrade in new homes in the very near future.
- For more details about
- What do you think of this? Where would you like to have a few spare USB ports?
- Personally I think they should be standard in cars.