Being a nerdy nurse and all, I am often asked to pass along valuable information. Often times it is information, but not very valuable. Other times the information has value, but I can’t bring myself to write anything about it worth reading. And honestly the 2 keep coming back here have me over a barrel, and I want to entertain you if at all possible… or at least avoid boring you to tears too terribly often.
This is NOT Medical Advice
It should be noted that I am not a physician, nor do I play one on TV. And since I’m not a doctor I cannot diagnose or dispense medical recommendations. I also don’t play a nurse on TV. I do that for real… but if you’re looking for a star for your new medical drama/comedy that could change. This nerdy nurse isn’t above that, I assure you. And just be clear: you, or anyone else, are not to take this as the gold standard for anything of or relating to colds or of remedies thereof, or any other ailments that may caused increased secretions and generalized discomfort. This is useful information being shared by one caring person on on the blogosphere. who just happens to be a nurse, and you should always consult your doctor for any medical needs.
With that in mind, and since I was asked very politely to share this with you, here are:
5 Summer Cold Remedies for Children
Many people assume the common cold is an illness people catch during the fall and winter months. There are several colorful phrases we can associate with assuming, but for times sake lets just know that in this case they are wrong.The truth is a cold is a virus that is prevalent during every season, year round.
Remedies for the Summer Cold
1) Make sure you drink a lot fluid and increase intake of Vitamin C.Increased hydration will help your body fight the virus off more quickly. Vitamin C will help shorten the length of a cold. Try drinking cold drinks such as orange juice or grapefruit juice
2) Pick up a pack Kids-EEZE soft chews. They target coughs and sinus congestion, the main symptoms of a cold or hay fever. It comes in delicious summer flavors like grape!
3) Try using a humidifier. These are great in the summer time because they do not add any additional heat to the room and it cleanses the air.
4) Honey is one of the best remedies if you’re having a sore throat along with a cold. Try adding honey to every day meals such as pancakes or to your ice tea.
5) Get plenty of rest. Whether you are sick or not, a good night’s sleep will always improve a person’s overall health.
Lets just add one more to this list. Actually lets just add this one to your daily list of life duties: Wash Your Hands! Make your kids wash their hands! Stop the germs from going any farther.
Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation for this post. I have not personally tried the Kids-EEZE product and you should always consult with your child’s doctor before giving them any new medications..Please also note the the FDA recommends against giving children under the age of 2 over-the-counter cold medications.